What should I do if an employee I supervise refuses to follow masking requirements?
In situations where employees refuse to adhere to masking requirements, the steps below should be taken:
- The manager should have a conversation with the employee to remind them of the masking requirements.
- Failure to comply with the requirements following the conversation should result in the employee being sent home for the remainder of the day with the expectation they return to work the next business day in compliance. The employee should utilize accrued vacation or personal time (if available) or be placed on an unpaid leave status for the absence.
- The manager should discuss the situation with their HR Strategic Partner who will in turn consult with Labor and Employee Relations. Upon the employee’s return to on-site work, steps should be taken to document the violation using HR 78 Staff Employee Failure to Meet Acceptable Standards of Performance in consultation with their HR Strategic Partner.
- If the employee persists in their refusal to follow the University requirement, then the employee must be sent home again and utilize accrued vacation or personal time (if available) or be placed on an unpaid leave status.
- In cases of repeated noncompliant behavior, managers should discuss continued utilization of HR 78 Staff Employee Failure to Meet Acceptable Standards of Performance with their respective HR Strategic Partner, which could lead to termination of the employee.